13 Sept 2011

...frustrated by my lack of End of the Road photos

Well, i guess it serves me right for being so lazy and not bringing my camera. I would so love to pepper my post with pics from End of the Road festival but alas, my friends haven't posted any yet and I don't have any. I promise to update this post as soon as I can lay my hands on some.

The highlight for me was definitely Sam Amidon on the Friday in the teepee tent. After a bit of banter with my Sam about who was more pleased to have him there, he delighted us with his beautiful voice and banjo strumming. For the finale, his rendition of R Kelly's Relief was punctuated by my friends singing back at him at the top of their lungs, only a few were in tune but that's all part of the fun... unless you were the guy giving us evils... Sam seemed to enjoy it, and with a mischievious glint in his eye, coaxed them on to louder volumes.

As all my friends arrived, finding us with ease to the left of the sound desk as usual, Beirut played a blinder of a set and wouldn't stop, with encore after encore. Dancing with your darling friends in a field to incredible music - really can't get better than this.

Saturday was more about the frolics in the firefly forest than the music for me. Just amazing fun.

Firefly forest photo borrowed from Huck magazine

Joanna Newson headlined the Sunday night and even though it was so cold her fingers turned to blue plucking her harp, she completely enchanted me. I was so happy that we had the new album so I recognised the new songs which she sang so beautifully, remembering all the words to such epic lyrics.

This year's End of the Road was the biggest yet - going hand-in-hand with the incredible line-up. I do think it has a real charm as a smaller festival with more almost unknown bands for us to discover, so fingers crossed it remains relatively small and that the rocky road around the site is rectified before next year, ouch.

The only sad bit is that I have to wait another year to do it all again.
x

2 comments:

  1. Sounds like you had a fantastic time! Can't believe you got to see Beirut! I bet that was amazing! I love Joanna Newsom - I saw her at The Royal Albert Hall a few years ago and she was incredible! Glad you had such a lovely time - I must try and go one year x

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm sure you'll love it too!
    I had to miss her gig at the Albert Hall but my friends went & Sam still says it was the best he's ever seen her x

    ReplyDelete