23 May 2014

...#whatwouldyoumiss

What would you miss if you lost your sight?

Personally, this is a question I have often thought about...From the age of seven I had very poor eye sight which seem to worsen with every trip to the optician. I mainly put this down to delinquently continuing to read in the dark once my parents had asked for lights out!

Once my prescription had stabilised at an impressively blind -8.50 I was lucky enough to have laser eye treatment. Unfortunately, the first treatment left a residual prescription of -1.00 and because I couldn't wear contact lenses until my eyes had healed from the lasik, I felt worse off for a year until I could be retreated with lasek.

Now being able to see just doesn't get old. Ask Sam... he can tell you how many times he's had to listen to me exclaim "I can see!"

My darling friend Jaya works for the Dorset Blind Association, who are being forced to close a very effective club for young (working-age) blind people.  She told me "We are trying to raise £12,000 to keep the club going, because it makes such a huge impact on those who attend."

To raise awareness of their cause, Jaya and her team are asking people to upload pictures or videos representing what they would miss if they lost their sight, using social media with the hashtag #whatwouldyoumiss." 

To kick start this, I would very much miss seeing these little faces...


and my family...


And the chance to see this again...


Facebook a photo of ‪#‎whatwouldyoumiss‬ and
donate via www.tiny.cc/wwym or text WWYM14 £3 to 70070


1 comment: