16 Oct 2011

...watching A Streetcar Named Desire

On Friday night we went to see A Streetcar Named Desire at Poole Lighthouse.

My friend Rod knew the production team & invited us along. After studying & falling in love with the play during my A'levels, I jumped at the chance, dragging along a somewhat dubious Sam.

Surprisingly, he'd never heard of it, but I knew it was full of the gritty realism & shane meadows style dark endings that he enjoys...

The actress playing Blanche, Nicole Faraday (she of Bad girls fame apparently) did a super job channeling Vivien Leigh & Emma Stephens / Stella had a cracking southern accent which didn't falter once.

Rod made us sit right at the front as directed by his friends. I was a bit intimidated to start as the cast were almost on our laps! But by the second half I was grateful for the recommendation as we were lost in the performance. It felt like it was just us & the characters, perfect for such an intense play.

When the lights came up, all three of us had tears in our eyes after watching poor Blanche being sectioned in such a harrowing way.

Fantastic.


1 comment:

  1. Sounds amazing. Glad you had a nice time. It's one of those movies that I know I should probably watch because it's a classic but still haven't got round to it! :) x

    ReplyDelete